General Contractors San Diego - Do It Yourself?
So you’re thinking about a custom home or remodeling project and are considering doing it yourself instead of hiring one of the general contractors in San Diego. Many people consider being their own general contractor as a way to save money. If you’re thinking about this as an option, below you’ll find some tips to carefully consider before starting your remodeling project.
General Contractors San Diego - Do It Yourself? - Tip #1
· Consider the time required. Managing a remodeling project is a full time job, even if you plan to hire sub-contractors. Reviewing bids, coordinating timelines, review work, scheduling inspections, ensuring quality and paying invoices are just a few of this things you’ll need to make time for. And if you don’t have the time to manage your project closely, budgets and timelines can quickly slip.
General Contractors San Diego - Do It Yourself? - Tip #2
· Consider the cost savings. Most people who are their own contractor on a project are doing so to save money. Unfortunately for most, their remodeling project actually ends up costing much more than if they would have hired a contractor. Established contractors get better pricing on materials as well as from sub-contractors do to their volume of work. Sub-contractors discount their prices to general contractors in order to win their repeat business. If you’re a homeowner, sub-contractors view you as a “one-timer” and will charge you as such for your project.
General Contractors San Diego - Do It Yourself? - Tip #3
· Consider if the project will take longer to complete. Another thing to consider is how long your remodeling or custom home project will take to complete. Efficiently scheduling each phase of work and the inspections can be very tricky if you’re not experienced. Which phases and trades can you overlap, which can’t you overlap, how much lead time is needed in scheduling each sub-contractor, how far in advance should you order materials? A few minor missteps in planning can cost weeks or even months.
General Contractors San Diego - Do It Yourself? - Tip #4
· How will sub-contractors prioritize your project. If a sub-contractor is working on your project and a general contractor calls them, you can be sure that your project will end up sitting there without any work getting done, while they make the general contractor happy. General contractors are a source or regular projects and income for the sub-contractors and unfortunately they will always prioritize the general contractor's projects over yours.
General Contractors San Diego - Do It Yourself? - Tip #5
· The “devil is in the details”. You’ve likely heard this saying and with construction it is very true. The quality, timing and cost is determined by hundreds of minute details that you need to foresee, inspect and plan for. Without years and years of experience, it’s easy to miss these details and they can be very costly in time and money to correct.
General Contractors San Diego - Do It Yourself? - Tip #6
· Are you committed to the end? Once you start your remodeling or custome home project, it is nearly impossible to hire a reputable contractor in the middle if you decide it isn’t working out. Reputable general contractors are very hesitant to step in and take on work they haven’t overseen closely. There is significant liability as well as risk to their reputation in doing so.
If you have additional questions or would like more information, please feel free to give us a call. We’ve built over 200 homes and have been building for 4 generations.
For more advance tips and to talk with us about your project, call 858-794-6264.
Topics: General Contractors San Diego, Room Additions San Diego, Kitchen Remodeling San Diego, Custom Home San Diego, San Diego Custom Home Builders, Remodeling San Diego, Home Remodeling San Diego